Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Black Gold

Don't know if anyone's heard about the movie Black Gold, but I just watched it and it's a fantastic documentary about the coffee industry, specifically about the farmers in Ethopia. It follows an Ethopian man who represents the Coffee Union in Ethopia and he presents to us the current deteriorating situation for coffee farmers in Ethopia. It really made me think about how much I enjoy my coffee and how much paying for it vs how much the farmers are getting for all their efforts. The farmers are basically getting paid about $0.09 per kilo of coffee that they produce. Ouch! But the truth is that I haven't heard much good about the Fairtrade system as well, so really, what can we do? Going to do some research about that. These are the wonderful farmers who have worked hard to bring us such beans as the Ethopian Harrar, Sidamo and Yirgacheffe. Yummy stuff. The Harrar has to be one of my fave single origins at the moment.

Here's a review of the movie from the NY Times.

And here's the trailer



Definitely a much watch for any coffee aficionado out there.

No comments: